Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Lunch at a pub


We found some WiFi at The Golden Bee pub. It's raining outside so it's nice to sit somewhere dry and get lunch. Did you know that pubs serve Indian food here? Chicken Tikka Masala and Guiness suites me just fine.

I feel considerably better after a night's rest and some non-airline food. Our bed and breakfast patron, Pascal, provided a decent breakfast of bacon, sausage, eggs, tomato, beans, toast, and coffee. I've never really considered beans a breakfast food... and I don't think I'll start. But it was a welcomed meal and a good time as Pascal tried to talk us out of our Hamlet tickets.

As each guest arrived at breakfast Pascal would introduce them and say where they are from. We were the “Alabamans.” Our state's reputation preceded us as other Alabamans had stayed at the bed and breakfast in the past. We were asked if they really hunted pigs and turkeys with just a hunting knife... We decided that sounds like something that may occur further south in the state. As the another American guest came down to breakfast Pascal declared we were neighbors. They asked us where we were from and we said Alabama. They said “it's closer than the UK” in a way that indicated that we might as well be from the redneck side of Mars and they were not interested in claiming us as countrymen.

Walking around Stratford-Upon-Avon today delivers a strong sense of deja vu. I kind of recognize everything being we walked it yesterday, but my memory is all a blur because I was a sleep deprived zombie. It's very beautiful and quaint in that way that I'm sure only small British towns can be. I'm especially impressed on how un-commercialized everything is considering that their primary industry is Shakespeare tourism.

Looking forward to the play tonight. Evidently tickets are super hard to come by. You basically had to buy them a year in advanced...which is exactly what Dawn did.

No comments: